Friday 30 September 2011

I don’t want to run around the world anymore….I think.


In January 2008, I wrote a post ‘The Revolving Door: An Expat’s Life’ and in April 2008 I wrote a post ‘Running Around the World’. The former discusses my twinge of jealousy for those moving to exotic places, what a concept of ‘home’ to me truly is, and how my identity is now comprised of the various cultural attributes I have picked up from places lived and people met. The latter is what the title says. It describes that internal drive that forces me to keep on running even if the destination isn’t always clear. Because running is what I love and it is who I am.

Fast forward a few years. It is now September 30, 2011; 25 days before I turn 30 and I am tired.
This year has been another crazy one, just as they all have been.

January: Spent 2 weeks in Colombia with 30 other MBA classmates exploring this incredibly beautiful country from the mountains, beaches and historical beaches. We hiked, sailed, drank, swam and partied.

February: Real world slams you in the face. Memories of dancing on sailboats are quickly forgotten as we returned to Berkeley and began the intensive intern job search. Topping that off with all the leadership roles you regrettably signed up for and a full class schedule - the stress mounts. Desperate to get away, I booked a last minute trip to London for a long weekend. At SFO, phone rings. Thomson Reuters asks if I can come to NYC next week for a job interview. Sure. I change a few flights, head to London for about 4 nights, fly to NYC Thursday afternoon, check into a hotel, head to the office for drinks and dinner with talent managers and company employees who are watching every move, determining your networking skills and cultural fit. Friday is a  full day of interviews, case study and presentation to management. 5pm  - the 24 hour interview is over and Friday night I head back to San Francisco.

March: Spring Break back to London with a weekend trip to Sevilla, Spain. Why not? My friends needed some sunshine.

April: Actually spent the whole month in Berkeley

May: Move out of my place in Berkeley, pack for India, ship business clothes to NYC and put the rest in storage. Off to India for 3 weeks with 3 other MBA classmates. We were engaged by a non-profit organization to look at how mHealth applications can be used to improve the quality of health care for mother and child in rural parts of India. Conclusion 1: Never give money to non-profit organizations unless you really understand how they are spending it. Conclusion 2: Sometimes the solution is a simple one. Health care would be improved by providing women with iron pills and better nutrition, not spending $2 million on smartphones. Sadly, our client didn't see it that way.

June: 24 hour flight from India and I arrive in NYC on a Saturday. Work at Thomson Reuters in their Media Strategy group starts Monday. I move into a sub-let flat.

July: Working fairly long hours but manage to get a family reunion trip to Long Beach Island, New Jersey and July 4th trip to Cape Cod. End of July, my sublet ends and I move into a friend’s apartment in the West Village to cat sit.

August: Friend comes back. I sublet another place in West Village, moving everything once again. At the same time, I am moving apartments on the other coast in Berkeley – thank goodness for parents in the area! Friend from London comes to visit, sublet ends, we spend one night in NYC hotel and then instead of going back to California for the first week of school, I head to the Hamptons for the week for a rest – I needed it! August 22nd I finally move back to California. Flying in and heading straight to class that day. The next couple of weeks are spent getting moved in, getting things out of storage etc. I am so tired of moving!

September: And now here we are and the big question that all MBA students talk about:

Question: What are you going to do when you graduate in May?

Answer: I don’t know. I am tired of packing and unpacking my life. I am tired of running around the world. 

No comments:



Disclaimer of liability
As with all American things, I would like to direct your attention to the following disclaimer of liability prior to your reading of this blog.

#1: Please be aware that I write these posts keeping in mind that others may read them, and therefore try (key word "try") to make them somewhat entertaining. Therefore, while it is all true, I tend to put a very sarcastic twist on most of it, as is my nature. So, please do not find any offense to the following posts. If you do, then maybe we shouldn't be friends.

#2: For those of you who know me well, I have the attention span of a three-year old child and a pinball machine for a mind. I apologize in advance if I jump from one thought and/or event to the next. Please bear with me.

#3: For those of you who don't know me well, I really am a nice person..or so some tell me. So I hope I do not come across a bit strong. But do you really want to read a blog with the following: Today I took an airplane to Costa Rica. The woman I sat next to on the plane was very nice. We had an interesting conversation. The rainforests we drove through to the place I was staying were very beautiful. I am teaching at a school in Costa Rica. The children I work with are really great. Get the point?

#4: Yes, I do work. But I don't think you want to hear about my typical day of waking up at 5:30am going to work, sitting in front of a laptop for 12 hours doing very boring things, going to the gym, and then going to bed..often in a lonely hotel room, now do you?

#5 My intention of these posts is not to brag about all the places I have been. Believe me, living a nomadic lifestyle is a bit exhausting and often times I am even envious of those friends who are a bit more settled with their homes, friends, families, significant other, etc. In the journey of life, there are many paths to follow, and it is a good thing we do not all take the same one. Always keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side.I am therefore not liable for any offense taken.I hope you enjoy