Friday 12 October 2007

Random Swiss Facts- Part 1 (F)

OK, before you read this, please refer to my Disclaimer of Liability at the top, it has come to my attention, that this posting was slightly misinterpreted by some Swiss colleagues.

I would like to emphasize that these are meant to be entertaining and do not necessarily reflect my opinion on Switzerland. I have a very positive impression of this country and am quite sad to depart. Any country, this size, which can achieve one of the highest standards of living and an economy which is recognized globally has my sincere respect.

But above all, I have made some very strong relationships which I know that regardless of time, will always remain true. Beneath the mounds of makeup and designer clothes of the Swiss (only in the Zurich region actually..it is like the LA of Switzerland) the substance behind a relationship once formed, is one of the strongest you will find, and I am lucky to have discovered that.

So, now that we have that whole touchy feeling thing clarified, let's move back into the more humorous portion of this posting.

I mean, if you cannot make fun of yourself, you are taking life way too seriously.

Every country has a story to tell or interesting fact to be learned. Here are just a few of those I believe to be worth mentioning.

But before, I begin; one clarification. No, I am not the only brunette here. You are thinking of Sweden. I live in Switzerland. They are two separate countries.

1) “The 16th century Genevese were the most decadent citizens of Switzerland. Their moral plateau was a city statute that levied a modest charge on men who kept more than one mistress at a time.”- Insights Guide Switzerland.

Hmmm…French influence definitely evident there. One wonders if this was a moral point, or simply an attempt to keep the playing field as equal as possible so that one man was not hoarding all the beautiful women.

My personal opinion is that the law was created by an unattractive man without any social graces. He was most likely the lone child at the high school dance hiding behind the bleachers watching in jealousy at the other girls and guys dancing, who upon summoning enough courage to ask the "hot girl" to dance, was laughed at and rejected. This man grew to become a powerful politician and then used his newly founded power for revenge.

This phenomenom of men using power to overcome shortcomings is prevalent throughout history including modern times in the U.S. as well. Haven't you noticed how all the men in Washington D.C. (political capital) are short??? Hmmm...small man complex there for sure. Think Napolean.

Either that, or the law was put forth by a business owner frustrated over the lack of productivity from his employees due to their very “long lunches” and charging hours for "working late."

2) If a Swiss guy tries to pick up a Swiss girl at a bar, within the first five minutes she will inevitably ask, “What do you do?” And “How much money do you make?”

First of all, I should quickly point out that this situation is not very common. Swiss guys don’t normally pick up on or even approach a girl at a bar. This question is therefore normally asked usually after the first non-date date (Swiss don’t believe in dating, they just “hang out together”).

However, in a culture in which the role of a woman is to simply stay at home and have babies and the man is the sole income provider, then her desired lifestyle is completely dependent on what he makes. So, why shouldn’t she ask this question?? I mean, wouldn’t you?

No comments:



Disclaimer of liability
As with all American things, I would like to direct your attention to the following disclaimer of liability prior to your reading of this blog.

#1: Please be aware that I write these posts keeping in mind that others may read them, and therefore try (key word "try") to make them somewhat entertaining. Therefore, while it is all true, I tend to put a very sarcastic twist on most of it, as is my nature. So, please do not find any offense to the following posts. If you do, then maybe we shouldn't be friends.

#2: For those of you who know me well, I have the attention span of a three-year old child and a pinball machine for a mind. I apologize in advance if I jump from one thought and/or event to the next. Please bear with me.

#3: For those of you who don't know me well, I really am a nice person..or so some tell me. So I hope I do not come across a bit strong. But do you really want to read a blog with the following: Today I took an airplane to Costa Rica. The woman I sat next to on the plane was very nice. We had an interesting conversation. The rainforests we drove through to the place I was staying were very beautiful. I am teaching at a school in Costa Rica. The children I work with are really great. Get the point?

#4: Yes, I do work. But I don't think you want to hear about my typical day of waking up at 5:30am going to work, sitting in front of a laptop for 12 hours doing very boring things, going to the gym, and then going to bed..often in a lonely hotel room, now do you?

#5 My intention of these posts is not to brag about all the places I have been. Believe me, living a nomadic lifestyle is a bit exhausting and often times I am even envious of those friends who are a bit more settled with their homes, friends, families, significant other, etc. In the journey of life, there are many paths to follow, and it is a good thing we do not all take the same one. Always keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side.I am therefore not liable for any offense taken.I hope you enjoy